My first dabble with Cathedral Windows was back in December. Ever since then, I was hooked. My cousin Lynn wanted to learn to make one, and since we live on opposite ends of the state, I decided I’d just make her one. So here’s my second dabble with Cathedral Windows. A (late) Christmas present for Lynn.
Lynn’s wedding colors were orange, so I bought a bunch of Kona cotton solids in various shades of orange as well as some shot cottons. My friend Gwen donated some orange Kaffe scraps and the String Cathedral Window Pillow Quilt was born.
The patchwork of this pillow is made using string quilt blocks. I opted to have the center of each string block be the same Kona Snow used in the cathedral window base. Looooove how it turned out. It’s funny how in my head I picture something and sometimes (just sometimes) it turns out way cooler than I thought it would. Here’s a top view shot my cousin took when she received the pillow (thank goodness she was able to fluff it back up!).
The back is just a simple print that we picked out from Sewing Party (love love love that shop!). I wanted to keep it simple so that the front could really stand out. The pillow is closed using an invisible zip.
I might need a break from these pillows soon…they take a long time to make! Paisley the cat agrees…she always wants me to feed her while I’m frantically pinning or sewing down edges.
But I love every single one I’ve made. So maybe I’ll take a break after I finish one for myself!