New Recipes and New Covers

We spent a lot of time in the kitchen here at home. Whether it be eating, cooking, washing dishes, or what not. In fact, one recent morning, while Dickson was on his morning bike ride, I broke open my new Everyday Italian cookbook and made some panna cotta.

I didn’t have berries that night, so we actually tried the panna cotta sans berries. Yeah, not so good. This stuff is mostly made of whipping cream, so you can imagine how heavy it is on its own. Eventually we got around to going to Trader Joes and picked up some deeeelicious blackberries and raspberries, and it made the world of difference.

Anyway, so while spending all this time in the kitchen, I tend to look to the room next door and see Mom’s sewing machine that I use. It has this old ugly plastic dust cover that probably used to be semi-clear, but now has a brown tint to it and is crinkly and just, well….ugly.

So, the last couple days I spent making her a new cover, and here’s the result!

So this view is from the back, but the front basically looks the same. I quilted the panels in a basic grid for the front and back, and the sides I did some wiggly curves. Whew, wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I added a cord slot, obviously, because otherwise it could potentially cause me trouble.

Actually, making the slot proved to be difficult since the cord isn’t centered on the the side. Meaning, the fabric pieces I cut were different sizes…meaning, I accidentally made my lining with the slot closer to the front not the back, where as the slot was REALLY supposed to be closer to the back not the front.

I did a little bit of patchwork on the top…

I really like this fabric because from one view, you can see a 4-petal flower. But, if you look at it from another view, you see 4 petals that form a circle. Anyway, the black fabric is by Faye Burgos, for Marcus Fabrics. I actually originally got this fabric for Mom’s potholders, but then when I decided to also make an apron, we decided that this fabric had too much going on for an apron. So it’s been sitting and waiting for a project. The white fabric is a white on white paisley print I found at Joann’s awhile ago for another unfinished project.

Mom likes it 🙂 I think it looks MUCH better than the old ugly plastic dust cover. Wheee!!!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Food, Projects, Sewing. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to New Recipes and New Covers

  1. jennifer says:

    You know, the concept of a dust cover for a sewing machine is foreign to me since I use mine every day! The one you made is gorgeous, though.

  2. Lynn says:

    It looks beautiful! I remember when you bought that fabric. I definitely see the fabric more as circles than the four petal flowers.

  3. Lynn says:

    Ok, those flip and tumble bags are pretty cool. I want one. Actually, I want many of them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s