I finally have some progress for my crochet-along. I dragged Dickson to Michaels last weekend and we picked out some super duper Lion Brand Wool-Ease yarn. It’s a thicker yarn, which caused me some trouble at first since the biggest crochet hook I owned was the K hook. This resulted in a block that felt like it could be used as a rug, not a blanket! So yesterday after work I picked up a P hook and started swatching. It’s perfect!
Since the yarn is so thick compared to the recommended yarn, I had to reduce my stitch count, otherwise I’d probably end up with a huuuuuuge block. I think the resulting block is roughly a 7.5″ square.
I also created a 4th block by just doing my single crochet in the entire stitch instead of just the back loop stitch.
The stitch count is the same for both squares (yay!), but the texture is very different (one’s puffy, one’s not so puffy). Me like. Dickson and I decided we’re going to make a green and brown checkerboard with this project. So 4 block types means 16 of each block, meaning 8 of each block in each color. I’ve done 8 blocks already. YAY! Each block will also be surrounded by some vanilla colored single crochet, hopefully. Not quite sure how to do that yet, so it’s still TBD.
Since there are so few stitches to make the block, each block goes pretty quickly. This is good since my attention span–not so good. I’ve also decided that double crochet is my favorite stitch so far.
56 blocks to go…so I’m 12.5% done. I need to go buy more yarn. Each ball makes 4 (maybe 5–I’ll know later once I start using the last bits of the ones I have). This is going to look so cool!